Reporter: Adam Simonelli
The talk of the Caplilano Honey team (Allen, Allen, Crosswell, George, Demarco, Simonelli) was that this race had every likelihood to be a screamer, the riders did not disappoint. After a minute silence to pay our respects to the two cyclists that lost their lives this week, the gun for the start of the race sounded then the race was on, 45 minutes and 2 laps. It doesn’t sound too bad but after 1 lap, I was sitting at the back watching riders drop like flies as a relentless pace was set and it was just hang on for the ride. After the first preme, which was taken by Brian McLeod, I found the race settled and I took the chance to move up the pack to the middle of the peloton to join my teammates. From there I witnessed attack after attack which was leading to no avail for any team as we quickly approach the second preme, won by Darcy Rosenlund. At this point there was only 15 minutes and 2 laps left in this race, and my head said 'you must move forward', which I did with aggression. I found myself on 10th wheel with 4 laps to go, with fellow teammates around me David Crosswell and David DiMarco, and I’m thinking it doesn’t get much better than this. With that thought came a slowing of pace from the front of the race and I watched 20 riders ride past me on both sides down the front straight. By the next corner I was back in 30th place with it all to do again! I hear 2 laps to go from the race officials and I must move forward, the race is now really moving in a blink of an eye as I hear the bell lap. Jostling for position I overtook 2-3 riders per straight on this rectangle course. In the final bend I was in 12th place, and with a hard kick out of the final corner and down the straight I crossed the line in 9th place, my first 20 GC points of the series. The winner was a fast finishing Peter Thompson from Tineli Racing. I would like to thank my Capilano Honey teammates for putting their trust in me. Signing off Adam Simonelli – a believer in Honey Shotz!
No comments:
Post a Comment