So the day didn't start to well....I rolled into the "Muzza-dome" hoping to get amongst the early B grade race. Lined up patiently only to miss out by ONE spot. Was told that some crumb of a kid from Balmoral pushed in and got his mate to get him a number. As it turns out, this may have been a blessing in disguise! So I decided against heading for a bay loop and watched the D3 boyz race in A grade - looked like a tough race.
Anyway, Toddy and I lined up for the second B race with about 18 others. The wind was getting up and with a small group the race was always going to be tough. The first 15 minutes was hectic with a bunch of unsuccessful attacks being chased down within less than a lap. A few people were dropping off the back as the wind started to take its toll. The prime lap approached and despite being in about 8th wheel on the last corner, missed the kick and decided against wasting energy on a sprint.
The attacks kept coming for the next few laps however as the conditions appeared to be worsening, none got further than 60m-80m up the road. The pace finally slowed to a meagre 35kph when a Balmoral rider took off up the road. The C Grade race had been torn to shreds with groups of 2's, 3's and 4's all around the track and despite the slow speed no-one wanted to jump across through the carnage of C graders and join the Balmoral bloke.....Except me. I took off on the front straight and within 1/2 lap or so joined the solo rider....As I passed Dave Tucker in C grade I raised with him my initial concerns with the move..."this was going to be a bad idea!" I said.
As they say, two's company and we pushed along for a few laps taking turns into the wind and pushing when we had a tail. At the most I think we got nearly 1/4 lap in front of the bunch. Toddy was the faithful team mate keeping the pace of the following bunch in check. We turned onto the front straight to see the three lap board out....but it was for C grade. Bugger - the legs were starting to really scream. We continued to circulate as best we could however the conditions were taking their toll and the bunch was closing. When the three lap board did come out the Balmoral rider said "maybe we have it". He was hurting so I had to take a few longer turns into the wind to keep him with me. He took the front with tail winds to give me a little extra respite. With about one and a half to go he graciously said "you take it". I told him we'll sort it when we cross the line.
Finally we turned into the front straight and had enough lead to ease up 150m from the line. He slowed and allowed me the win. Top bloke. Was a great day and thanks to Toddy for keeping the bunch in check.
No comments:
Post a Comment