So Saturday at Nundah was meant to be a solid hit out at a circuit we do not often get to and for 99% of the race it was........... As we all know there are two types of riders - those who have come off and those who are about to.
We rolled off a little later than expected with a very large field of nearly 70 and it was straight into a solid pace. There were a few darting off the front however none were successful. I tried to stay up the front and cover any attacks and Toddy was also up the front keeping an eye on the pace. Limbo was also up the pointy end pushing the pace and keeping an eye on the attacks as they came.
The Prime came and went a little earlier than expected with none of the D3 boys having a crack. Instead choosing to sit in and save ourselves for a push at the end.
The rest of the race was relatively uneventful until the 2 laps to go board came out when a lot of pushing for position took over. The large field was still all together so the last lap was always going to be hectic.
Toddy and Terence made it into the front dozen or so and managed to get into a good position on the inside on the last lap. I jumped onto their wheels with Limbo and Dr Ben following in hot pursuit.
Toddy pulled a good turn as did Terence and off the final bend I had a good line into the final straight. Two blokes came flying up the inside of the track so I jumped on their wheel to push through the field in preparation for a sprint. Then all hell broke loose!!!
Just before the bridge, the first guy in the train I had jumped onto strayed onto the grass (I heard later on he broke a chain) and then unexpectedly came back onto the road taking out the bloke who was initially on his wheel. As this guy came down I swerved to miss and nearly did but my rear wheel was taken out and down I came taking out another guy as I fell..... From them all I remember is sliding along thinking "this is gonna sting". A who bunch of other guys came down as well and the chain-reaction continued - I think Todd said he ended off the track near the trees!!!
Unfortunately as I curled up in a ball hoping not to get hit by passing traffic Limbo ran into me and came down as well. Fortunately he is not too banged up and I hope is back in action this week. Sorry for getting in the way bro!!!!!
The bike is in need of new breaks and shifters the front wheel will need to be rebuilt but other than that its all good at this stage. I think Limbo's (stiff) Willier survived the day with a front wheel needing a re-true.
Thanks to all the D3 guys who stayed around and looked after Limbo and I (thanks Toddy for the Coke!). Certainly a painful end to what was otherwise an enjoyable race.
2 comments:
nice hickys
Nasty!! How's limbo?
Post a Comment