Hi All,
This year’s tour was set for 3 Stages over the two days.
Stage 1: 8 km ITT (Eudlo)
Stage 2: 50 km Hills Road Race (Eudlo)
Stage 3: 50 km Road Race (North Arm)
From last years disappointment I set myself the goal of wining this year. I knew if I put my effort into preparation I had a good chance on the overall win because the two road races suited me. From January this year I have been building up for the event, and for the last 4 months Ashley Portas has been helping me with doing up plans and making sure I do not over train. Thank you Ash! Also great work for winning your age group at Fusion Games!
I started driving to the coast on Friday night, it was good to be able to stay at the parents farm in Nambour (which is 20min drive from both start lines). The dark clouds rolled in and the rain got harder and harder all night. So the first two stages at Eudlo was cancelled due to safety concerns (from the hard rain), because the hilly course has 2 90 degree turns on down hill blind corner. But this new was very disappointing as I was ready for the big race.
The organisers said that stage 3 will be on as the course is flatter and more safe.
Stage 3: North Arm Road Race
Well from the 20 who where due to compete in the division, only 15 lined up for the Stage 3. The race started at a fast 45km/h pace due to all riders being fresh. I am glad this did not continue for the race or I would be in trouble. On the second (of 4) laps one of the strong riders did a small attack on the climb, so me and 2 other joined and pushed to open a gap. We grouped on the decent and tried to establish the break away. we worked well together until the final lap. We kept the gap at aprox 30 sec, and me and another rider attacked on the final hill climb to set up the win. He forced me into the front with 800m to go and he would not pull through. I was worried of getting caught. So from 400m from the finish line I started to sprint, he was not expecting this, and I was able to get a small gap. I was fading and he was gaining but I was able to take the win by 1m.
Bit disapointed that I was not able to do the 2 satges, but very happy with the win.
Good luck to all at Cunningham,
adam
No comments:
Post a Comment