Sunday, August 14

If only the finishing straight was 10 metres shorter....

Muzza C grade race report 13 August 2011

..and yes, by that title, you can guess I came up a few metres short at the end.

It was a well paced race. A few solid attacks but no one got away. The last three laps were upon us. I uncharacteristically sat in 5th wheel for the third and second last laps, being patient. Very unusual. The three chaps on the front very kindly rotated amongst themselves, and keep the pace high, so I could cruise around and stay fresh. A big thank you to Ashley Portas for pulling some hard turns on the front at that time.

For the last lap, I was the recipient of a long and fast led out by a fresh rider. We hit the final corner at 50kph, and took it real tight. The bunch was well and truly stretched out. As I got up to sprint, I heard a few screams and the horrible sound of metal meeting road. A few of the lads, feeling a touch ambitous, tried to take a wide outside line, and when my lead out man peeled off, they touched the brakes and slid out. Two guys down but they were ok, save for some bark off and needing new kits.

But the sprint must go on, and so it did. I was away, hard and fast, or so I thought. Going hard, pushing, ...presssing...finishing line...where are you ? Almost there, could this be the one ? Yes, yes,....and then with 10 metres to go I got swamped by a few kids half my age who had sat in the bunch the whole way around. Apparently, that's racing !! Anyway, I finished a respectable 5th, and had a great day out on the bike. Till next time. Thanks Team. David T

No comments: